All teams in the group have three points each and capable of qualification to the next round. Each point counts at this stage of the competition and for United anything short of three points could prove costly.
As Manchester United prepare to face CSKA Moscow tonight, in their crunch champions’ league match, here are few things you need to know about them…
1. CSKA MOSCOW’s UNBEATEN RUN IN THE RUSSIAN LEAGUE
Currently they are unbeaten in the Russian League. They sit 5 points clear at the top of their league. United will have to be at their best (as was the case over the weekend) to find a way past this resolute team.
2. THE THREAT OF SEYDOU DOUMBIA
Chris Smalling has been a revelation for united this season. His performances have been nothing short of fantastic and tonight he is going to have to be at his utmost best again when dealing with the threat of Seydou Doumbia. The Ivory Coast international has been the key man for CSKA this season, scoring seven goals in his last seven appearances for the club. Smalling is likely to partner Jones in central defense tonight and if the performance at Goodison is anything to go by, handling the Ivory Coast international should be something of routine for them.
3. GOAL KEEPING WOES
CSKA Moscow goal keeper Igor Akinfeev has not kept a clean sheet in the Champions League since they drew 0-0 with Arsenal in 2006. This spans a 33 game run including qualification games. This should be good news for United, but with striker Wayne Rooney still not yet back to best as we know him to be it could mean nothing. Martial has proven he has pace and trickery to take on any defender. But with him likely to start out on the left wing, he might not impact the game as when is the main man in the middle leading the line. Rooney has got to turn back time tonight and rediscover the form that made him the brightest young talent in England.
United Team News
• Manager Louis Van Gaal is likely to pick the same line as the one he picked against Everton over the weekend
• Ashley Young, James Wilson and the injured Luke Shaw are likely to miss the trip to Russia
• Antonio Valencia scored the only goal the last these two sides met in 2009 and he back in the lineup.
• Herrera, who had a superb game against Everton over the weekend is expected to keep his place alongside Juan Mata in midfield.
• Wayne Rooney will be expected to start as the main striker with Anthony Martial playing on the left wing.
• Phil Jones will likely keep his place instead of Daley Blind, alongside Chris Smalling in central defense.
• Bastian Schweinsteiger is expected to be dropped and replaced with Michael Carrick in central midfield to partner Morgan Schneiderlin.
Leave your comments and match prediction below…..