Tottenham host Chelsea at White Hart Lane this weekend in the London Derby.
The Blues who have lost 8 games in the league so far this season had a much needed reprieve with two consecutive wins against Norwich last week and Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Champions League. These were very necessary wins as it has somewhat weathered the storm that has been at the club this term.
Spurs on the on the other hand are in sensational form. Boasting the youngest squad in the league this season, they have gone unbeaten in 12 games since their opening day defeat to Manchester United. Their last outing in the league was a 4-1 drubbing of West Ham. Talk of title contenders was not far off after that showing. They sit 5th on the league table with 24points.
Coach Mauricio Pochetinno has done a great job with these young group of players and there has never been a perfect opportunity for them to at least go for the top four spot and secure qualification for the Champions League proper. Honorable mention for the players rejuvenated under Pochetinno is Moussa Dembele who has been in inspired form in this season so far. He has been the heart of the Spurs midfield putting in wonderful performances week in week out.
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho would like nothing more than a win to make this already awful season anymore worse. The Blues sit 15th with 14 points and anything short of a win could prove disastrous. They showed they could romp over teams again in midweek with a commanding display and win. That form will hopefully continue this weekend when they travel to the Lane where they suffered a 5-3 loss the last time they visited on 1st of January this year.
Harry Kane is in good goal scoring form again after cries of him being a “one season wonder” earlier this season when he was struggling to find the back of the net. He has 10 goals in 19 games for Spurs so far and will be looking to add to that against Chelsea. He scored a hat trick in the last fixture between the two sides and a repeat would add more misery to the Blues.
Willian has been the oasis in the bleak Chelsea desert this season scoring 6 free kicks from 12 attempts. His most recent one coming in midweek. He will be focal if the Blues are to get anything from this game.
- Harry Kane will continue in attack for Spurs after his European exploits on Thursday. He got the winning goal in a 1-0 win.
- Willian has turned up this season for Chelsea with great performances all round and will be hoping to inspire his team to victory.
- Diego Costa- much criticized for his bullish displays of late got the winning goal against Norwich in the 1-0 win. He will be leading the attack for the Blues.
- Hazard has been a shadow of his former self but has shown signs of improvement in the last few games. He will be looking to add a goal to that improvement this weekend.
- The Spurs midfield of Dier, Dembele and Erikson will look to continue their fine work this season.
- Asmir Begovic continues in goal for Chelsea.
- Gary Cahill grabbed the opening goal in midweek. He will start this one alongside John Terry
- Heung Min Son who returned from injury last week will continue his partnership with Kane.
- Toby Alderweireld and Kyle Walker start at the back after both grabbed a goal each in the victory over the Hammers.
Chelsea and Coach Jose Mourinho are under pressure and desperately need a win from this game to really kick start their already dreadful season.
Spurs however will want to extend their unbeaten run to 13 games with a win against the reigning champions. The talk of title contenders might be premature but a convincing victory here will be a real statement of intent.
KICK OFF IS ON SUNDAY AT 12:00 GMT.