Vicente del Bosque has confirmed he will leave his role as Spain coach, days after the reigning champions crashed out of Euro 2016.
Del Bosque, 65, had previously said he would step down following Euro 2016and, after Spain lost to Italy in the round-of-16 stage on Monday, he confirmed earlier reports from AS and Marca on Thursday that he would be quitting at the end of his contract.
“Without a doubt, I have no intention to remain as coach, but you have to be discreet. No matter what the result of the Euros, I had no doubt about what my future would be,” he told Spanish public radio RNE.
“I will continue until July 31. And the president, when he thinks it’s opportune, will make it happen. They haven’t asked me for substitutes. I will do what the federation tells me. There are many qualified people.”
Former Granada coach Joaquin Caparros, former Spain under-21 boss Julen Lopetegui and ex-La Roja coach Jose Antonio Camacho have all been tipped to succeed him.
Marca reported that Caparros is Spanish federation president Angel Maria Villar’s preferred candidate and that the new coach is expected to be named on July 19.
Caparros, who has managed a host of Spanish clubs including Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao and Levante, said earlier this week that he would be interested in taking charge of the national team, but would prefer to see Del Bosque stick around.
Del Bosque guided Spain to wins at the World Cup in 2010 and Euro 2012, but oversaw their shock group stage exit at the World Cup in Brazil in 2014.
Spain will now turn their focus on trying to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia from a group that also includes Italy. The first qualifying game will be in September.