download (11)

Michy Batshuayi struck a brace on his full debut for Chelsea as they held off Bristol Rovers to win 3-2 and advance into the third round of the EFL Cup.

Batshuayi, who scored from off the bench in the Blues’ 2-1 victory over Watford on Saturday, fired his side into the lead in the 29th minute following a Nemanja Matic pass.

Victor Moses then made it two just two minutes later with a close-range finish, only for Peter Hartley to then soon pull one back for the visitors.

Batshuayi extended Chelsea’s lead just before the break, slotting home after being teed up by Ruben Loftus-Cheek, and although Rovers bagged another through an Ellis Harrison second-half penalty, the Premier League side were able to hold on for the victory.

Read More:



Liverpool swept aside Burton Albion to move into the next round with a 5-0 victory.

Divock Origi opened the scoring for the visitors inside 15 minutes, slotting home from close range after some impressive build-up play by Sadio Mane.

And Roberto Firmino doubled the Reds’ lead just seven minutes later, heading a Nathaniel Clyne delivery into the back of the net.

Tom Naylor then diverted into his own net from a corner in the second half before Daniel Sturridge completed the scoring late on with a double, first converting a James Milner cross and then lashing home his second a few minutes afterwards.

Everton eased past Yeovil Town with a 4-0 win at Goodison Park to make the third round of the competition.

Aaron Lennon scored the game’s opener in the 28th minute, striking an effort past Artur Krysiak after James McCarthy had set him up.

Ross Barkley doubled the hosts’ lead in the 69th minute, sneaking a long-range free kick into the corner of the net, before Arouna Kone came off the bench to make sure of the result with two late strikes for the Toffees.

Northampton extended their club-record unbeaten run as they stunned West Brom with a penalty shootout victory.

The Cobblers have not lost since January after knocking the Baggies out 4-3 on penalties, following a 2-2 draw at Sixfields.

Rob Page’s side are now unbeaten in 26 games in all competitions after Kenji Gorre netted the key spot kick.

It was a deserved victory for a spirited display from the League One side which started when Zander Diamond gave them a first-half lead.

James McClean and Gareth McAuley hauled Albion ahead but Alex Revell’s late strike sent the game into extra time before the penalty drama.

Bradley Dack struck in extra time as Gillingham came from behind to stunWatford 2-1.

Walter Mazzarri looked set to enjoy his first win as Hornets boss when Odion Ighalo came off the bench to fire them ahead.

But Mark Byrne struck eight minutes from the end of normal time to level the scores, before Dack’s heroics followed as Gillingham beat top-flight opposition for the first time since dumping Portsmouth out of this competition at the same stage in 2005-06.

Crystal Palace earned their first victory of the season and gave Christian Benteke his debut in a 2-0 defeat of Blackpool at Selhurst Park.

A much-changed team responded to 1-0 defeats at home to West Brom and away to Tottenham which had left them 19th in the Premier League by easing into the competition’s third round.

Read More:

Blackpool’s Clark Robertson first deflected Scott Dann’s effort beyond goalkeeper Sam Slocombe’s reach, before Connor Wickham then added another with a powerful strike from close range high into the roof of the net.


Peter Crouch scored a hat trick as Stoke advanced to the third round by defeating League Two Stevenage 4-0 at the Lamex Stadium.

The former England striker notched either side of Phil Bardsley’s brilliant 30-yard strike, before adding his third with 20 minutes left to seal a comprehensive victory for the Premier League outfit.

Former cup holders Swansea breezed to a 3-1 success at Peterborough.

Rookie striker Oliver McBurnie enjoyed a dream debut, having a prominent role in an early opener from Jay Fulton, before hitting a late double at the end of the first half.

Leonardo Da Silva Lopes pulled one back in the 75th minute for Peterborough, but it proved simply to be a consolation goal.

Hull continued their fine start to the season, but only after they were given a scare by League Two side Exeter.

Jake Taylor gave Exeter the lead with a stunning long-range strike, but jointPremier League leaders Hull hit back to win 3-1 with two goals from Adama Diomande and a Robert Snodgrass strike.

Derby won a dramatic penalty shootout 14-13 when debutant Timi Max Elsnik beat Mark Gillespie to end Carlisle‘s brave challenge.

The 19-year-old midfielder calmly converted the 32nd spot kick to send Derby into the third round after the teams had been level at 1-1 after extra time.

Former England striker Darren Bent put the Championship side ahead in the second half but Mike Jones equalised with the last kick of normal time to set up an incredible finale.

Norwich cruised into the third round with an emphatic 6-1 win over League OneCoventry at Carrow Road.

Kyle Lafferty scored his first Norwich goal since September 2015 in a rare start for the Northern Ireland international before Sergi Canos doubled the lead prior to the break.

Ruben Lameiras pulled back one for the Sky Blues from the penalty spot, when Harry Toffolo shoved Dion Kelly-Evans, but Russell Martin and Jacob Murphy put Norwich back in control before Canos and debutant Ben Godfrey completed the rout.

Newcastle overcame a succession of injury setbacks as they brushed asideCheltenham Town 2-0.

Aleksandar Mitrovic, Dwight Gayle and Rolando Aarons were all forced off through injury, while Ayoze Perez also suffered a clash of heads that resulted in him needing extensive bandaging.

However, Perez showed no ill effects from the problem as he scored either side of the interval to set up what was eventually a comfortable win.

Sandro scored both goals as Queens Park Rangers came from behind to beatRochdale 2-1.

The League One visitors went ahead after just five minutes at Loftus Road, with Matty Lund heading in at the far post from Donal McDermott’s left-wing corner, but QPR twice netted from corners of their own through Sandro — both delivered by Tjaronn Chery — to turn the tie around.

Championship side Brighton continued their impressive start to the season with a 4-2 victory at League 1 outfit Oxford.

Three goals in nine minutes late on earned the Seagulls a place in the third round — Kazenga LuaLua struck with a brilliant low drive from 25 yards in the 76th minute with the sides locked at 1-1, before Elvis Manu effectively wrapped it up on 82 minutes from close range and Tomer Hemed then added another minutes later.

Championship strugglers Blackburn had to come back from an early two-goal deficit to eventually see off League Two opponents Crewe 4-3 after extra time.

A paltry Ewood Park crowd watched a ding-dong encounter which was won in the 97th minute when Shane Duffy headed home Craig Conway’s corner.

Nottingham Forest advanced after Lars Veldwijk’s emphatic late finish saw the visitors beat Millwall 2-1.

Jamie Paterson had earlier slotted home to put Forest ahead, with Shaun Williams then scoring from 50 yards to give Millwall some brief hope.

Reading scraped into the third round with a 4-2 win on penalties after a 2-2 draw with MK Dons.

Jordan Obita struck the winning spot kick for Reading after MK had missed two of their four.

Read More:

Leeds were given a few scares by Luton but a first-half goal from Tyler Denton was enough to see them progress with a 1-0 win at Kenilworth Road.

Eoin Doyle and Jordan Hugill helped to ensure Preston avoided an upset at home to League One Oldham as they secured a 2-0 victory to reach round three.

Two goals inside the opening 13 minutes from Helder Costa and Jed Wallace were enough for Wolves as they advanced with a 2-1 win over Cambridge.

Substitute Tammy Abraham scored the extra-time goal which earned Bristol City a 2-1 win against Scunthorpe and a place in the third round.


Culled from ESPNFC