High flying new promoted Hull City will face Manchester United today as they continue their journey in the premier league. They have so far won their last three games; two premier league games and their recent game in the EFL Cup against Exester. Mike Phelan said in his press conference that his boys are excited and prepared to meet one of the premier league “Top guns” and it will be a hectic afternoon.
Manchester United on the other hand are looking to make it three wins in a row, and it will be their best start in five years if they grab the required three points from Hull City today. Jose Mourinho believes his team are focused and will do what is required of them.
Head to Head/ Match facts
- Hull City are winless in their past 11 league and cup games against Manchester United, losing 10 of those matches.
- The last meeting saw Hull claim their first Premier League point against the Red Devils on the final day of the 2014-15 season. That match saw the Tigers relegated (results elsewhere meant even a win would not have kept them up).
- United have had a player sent off in their past two visits to Hull (Marouane Fellaini and Antonio Valencia).
- Hull’s last win against Manchester United was a 2-0 home victory in a second-tier game on 23 November 1974, when Malcolm Lord and Ken Wagstaff scored.
- Hull caretaker manager Mike Phelan has made just one substitution in two league games so far – with the player he brought on, Shaun Maloney, registering a goal and an assist after coming off the bench at Swansea last weekend.
- Victory would see Hull become only the second newly-promoted side to win their opening three Premier League games, following in the footsteps of Bolton in the 2001-02 season.
- Only once before has a team been relegated after winning their opening two Premier League games (Wolves in 2011-12). No side has gone down after beginning with three consecutive victories.
- Hull have used the fewest players in the Premier League this term (12) but have had the most different goalscorers (four).
- Abel Hernandez has scored five goals in his past seven league games for Hull, excluding the play-offs.
- Ahmed Elmohamady has appeared in every one of Hull City’s 78 Premier League matches since the start of 2013-14.
- United have won their opening three matches of a Premier League season on four previous occasions (2003, 2005, 2006 and 2011) but only in 2006-07 did they go on to win the title.
- They are one short of 700 away defeats in the top flight.
- The Red Devils are also two short of becoming the first team to score 800 Premier League away goals.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored three goals in his first two league appearances.
- The player to score the most goals in their first three Premier League games is Pavel Pogrebnyak – who netted five times in three matches for Fulham in February 2012.
- Ibrahimovic has scored in 25 of his past 31 league appearances (41 goals in total).
- Wayne Rooney has scored seven goals in his last five Premier League games against Hull City.
Hull City defender Harry Maguire is available after recovering from an ankle injury.
However, caretaker manager Mike Phelan may be reluctant to make changes after back-to-back league wins.
Manchester United could name the same starting line-up that beat Southampton 2-0.
Midfielder Jesse Lingard is in contention after returning to full training this week following an injury sustained in the Community Shield.
- Match Preview: Watford vs Arsenal
- Sahara Predictions for Game week 3 (EPL)
- Thierry Henry joins Belgium as Roberto Martinez’s assistant coach
- Manchester United draw Fenerbahce, Feyenoord in Europa League