Cesc Fabregas scored an extra-time brace as Chelsea came from two goals down to secure a 4-2 victory against 10-man Leicester City to advance to the fourth round of the EFL Cup.

The Blues found themselves two behind inside 34 minutes following Shinji Okazaki’s brace, but goals either side of half-time from Gary Cahill and Cesar Azpilicueta soon brought them level.

Leicester’s chances of victory were dealt a serious blow after they saw Marcin Wasilewski sent off just before the end of the 90 minutes, before Fabregas then struck twice inside two minutes in extra-time to seal Chelsea’s progression.


Also on Tuesday, Ragnar Klavan scored his first goal for Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp’s side cruised to a 3-0 win at Derby County.

The summer signing from Augsburg was on hand to score on 24 minutes following a corner after Derby defender Richard Keogh mis-hit his attempted clearance.

Philippe Coutinho added a second goal after his countryman Roberto Firmino played him through on goal five minutes after half-time.

And four minutes later, Divock Origi fired a third into the roof of the net after receiving a pass from Coutinho.

Granit Xhaka scored from a thunderous long-range strike and Lucas Perez added two goals to help Arsenal defeat Nottingham Forest 4-0.

The Swiss midfielder was given space 35 yards from goal in the 23rd minute, his shot taking a deflection off of the back of Chris Cohen and finding the net after grazing the fingertips of goalkeeper Vladimir Stojkovic.

Lucas then opened his account for Arsenal from the penalty spot after Michael Mancienne brought down Chuba Akpom on the hour mark, and the Spaniard added a second goal 10 minutes later under heavy pressure from the Forest defence.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scored in stoppage time as Arsenal glided into the fourth round.

Steven Naismith haunted his former club Everton by scoring for his new team Norwich City in a 2-0 win.

Naismith declined to celebrate in front of the Goodison Park crowd after he slipped while shooting and the ball looped past Maarten Stekelenburg.

Josh Murphy’s second-half strike from the top of the box was more clinical as he doubled the lead in the 74th minute.

Matt Ritchie and Yoan Gouffran scored two minutes apart in the first half to guide Newcastle to a 2-0 win over Wolves.

Ritchie opened the scoring with a deft 29th-minute finish after playing a defence-splitting one-two with Jack Colback, and then turned provider by floating a cross towards Gouffran, who dispatched a stunning left-foot volley past helpless keeper Andy Lonergan from 15 yards.

Reading managed a 2-1 win at Brighton despite playing the entire second half with 10 men.

Stephen Quinn scored in the first half shortly before Tyler Blackett was sent off, but even with the disadvantage John Swift added a second for the visitors after the break, and Tommer Hemed’s late goal was not enough for Brighton.

Chris Wood scrambled the ball home in the 84th minute to supply Leeds United with a 1-0 win at home against Blackburn Rovers.

Wood broke the deadlock in Leeds’ victory over Rovers seven days ago and he came off the bench to settle the cup clash with his sixth goal of the season.

Read More:


Culled from ESPNFC