An outstanding first-half performance by Arsenal saw them beat London rivals Chelsea 3-0 at the Emirates and go third in the Premier League table.

With 12 minutes played, Gary Cahill dawdled on the ball before making a mess of his backpass and allowing Alexis Sanchez to race through and chip coolly beyond Courtois. Two minutes later, the Gunners doubled their lead with a superbly-worked goal as Mesut Ozil and Alex Iwobi set up Hector Bellerin to cross for a Theo Walcott tap-in.


A shell-shocked Chelsea offered little in response apart from a low Willian effort that whistled just wide of the far post and were three goals adrift with five minutes of the first half still to play.

The goal began on the edge of the Arsenal penalty area as Ozil turned past a couple of challenges and raced into the Arsenal half before finding Sanchez. The forward then chipped the ball over Cahill and David Luiz, who had both been drawn towards him, and Ozil volleyed into the ground, over Courtois and off the post, to make it 3-0.


Manchester United produced a blistering first-half performance as Premier League champions Leicester City were swept aside 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Jose Mourinho’s side — without Wayne Rooney, who was dropped to the bench– were 4-0 up at the break thanks to goals from Chris Smalling, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba, who opened his United account.

Although substitute Demarai Gray pulled one back for the visitors in spectacular style, United coasted to a comfortable win after what had been a difficult spell for Mourinho.

Smalling powered a header in from Daley Blind’s corner and United took total control, with Mata rounding off a superb move, Rashford firing in from close range and Pogba thumping home a header from a corner before Gray’s long-range strike provided a small measure of consolation for the Foxes.


Manchester City had to battle to a 3-1 victory away to Swansea City as they maintained their 100 percent record under Pep Guardiola.

City seized the advantage after just eight minutes, with Sergio Aguero netting his 10th goal of the season as he made his return to Premier League action after suspension.

However, former Juventus striker Fernando Llorente had Swansea back on level terms five minutes later, opening his account with a fine finish into the top corner.

City finally restored their advantage on 63 minutes, when Mike van der Hoorn fouled Kevin De Bruyne in the area and Aguero coolly converted the spot kick.

Raheem Sterling then scored his fourth league goal of the season after a neat stepover to end Swansea’s hopes of a comeback.


Liverpool secured a third Premier League win in succession as they eased past 10-man Hull City 5-1 at Anfield.

Liverpool took the lead in some style, with Philippe Coutinho given space to charge toward the area before finding Adam Lallana, whose turn and finish left the Hull defence helpless.

Hull’s prospects of an upset receded significantly when Ahmed Elmohamady was sent off for a handball in the area and James Milner converted the penalty with half an hour played.

Lallana then turned provider, using his skill to set up Sadio Mane for Liverpool’s third as the Senegal international swivelled on the edge of the area.

Hull reduced the deficit through David Meyler after the break but Coutinho produced an instant response with a stunning long-range effort.

Daniel Sturridge replaced Lallana on 67 minutes and earned a penalty two minutes later, with Milner again stepping up to score.


Tottenham Hotspur made it three wins in three with a 2-1 success away toMiddlesbrough.

Son Heung-Min broke the deadlock, drifting through the defence before firing past Victor Valdes after good work by Vincent Janssen.

Son, who had been expected to leave Spurs in the summer, added his second of the game — and fourth league goal of the season — on 23 minutes when he won back possession before firing into the top corner.

Boro pulled one back on 65 minutes when Ben Gibson headed home Stewart Downing’s cross but they were unable to find an equaliser.


Everton‘s fine start to the season suffered a setback as they were beaten 1-0 at Bournemouth.

Jack Wilshere came close to giving Bournemouth the lead on 12 minutes but he was denied by Seamus Coleman, whose block diverted the Arsenal loanee’s shot onto the woodwork.

Everton — second in the table at the start of play — struggled to get a footing in the game and Bournemouth took a deserved lead on 23 minutes through Junior Stanislas fine strike from distance, which proved enough to secure all three points.


Sunderland dropped to the foot of the table as Crystal Palace battled back from two goals down to win 3-2.

David Moyes’ Sunderland had picked up a solitary point from their opening five games, but they took the lead through Jermain Defoe six minutes before the break when Palace midfielder Joe Ledley curled an ill-advised backpass through his own defence.

Defoe extended Sunderland’s advantage on the hour mark, powering an effort past Steve Mandanda, but Ledley hit back immediately with a deflected effort.

On 76 minutes, James McArthur headed home a Zeki Fryers cross, and Sunderland’s fate worsened when Christian Benteke scored a 94th-minute winner.

Stoke City were denied a much-needed victory as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Tony Pulis’ West Bromwich Albion.

Stoke, seeking their first points since drawing their opener at Middlesbrough, saw a penalty appeal waved during a quiet first half as well as shortly after the break, when Erik Pieters appeared to have been fouled by Matt Phillips.

Mark Hughes’ men finally broke the deadlock on 73 minutes when Joe Allen managed to send the ball home from close range, but they were denied when Salomon Rondon headed an equaliser on 91 minutes.

Read More:


Culled from ESPNFC