Chelsea returned to the top of the Premier League as they recovered from a goal down to beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 at Stamford Bridge and notch a seventh league win a row.

Spurs, who saw their unbeaten league record ended, began the game brightly and went in front after 11 minutes when Christian Eriksen fired a superb strike from distance beyond Thibaut Courtois.

But Chelsea, who were a long way short of their best for much of the first half, equalised with an outstanding goal of their own as Pedro turned into space just outside the area after a flowing move involving Nemanja Matic and curled a dipping effort beyond Hugo Lloris.

Victor Moses decided the contest when he was left all alone in the area to steer the ball home via Lloris and Jan Vertonghen on the line after Diego Costa’s fine run and low cross had unhinged the visiting defence with 51 minutes gone.


Earlier, Liverpool had topped the Premier League as they beat Sunderland 2-0 in a match overshadowed by a serious-looking injury to playmaker Philippe Coutinho.

Sunderland, boosted by two wins in their last two Premier League matches, started well and Steven Pienaar saw his acrobatic attempt saved.

Dejan Lovren had a great chance from a Jordan Henderson free kick but could only steer his header across goal and wide, but the Reds suffered a major blow when Coutinho was tackled in the area by Didier Ndong and went down clutching his ankle before being substituted.

Jurgen Klopp’s side stepped up the tempo as the second half wore on and made the breakthrough with 15 minutes remaining when Divock Origi, who had come on for Coutinho, checked past his defender to fire home.

James Milner sealed the points late on when he converted a penalty after Sadio Mane was fouled.


In Saturday’s early kick-off, two goals from striker Sergio Aguero earned Manchester City three points at Burnley with a 2-1 win that briefly took Pep Guardiola’s team back to the top of the Premier League.

City had trailed early on but Aguero’s double, one either side of the break, saw them emerge victorious at Turf Moor.

In an eventful opening spell, Burnley appealed for a penalty when Nicolas Otamendi appeared to shove Jeff Hendrick but were soon in front when Dean Marney lashed a superb volley past Claudio Bravo and low into the corner.

Aguero levelled with 36 minutes played when Raheem Sterling fired the ball across and it reached Aguero, who turned it home from close range. The same player won it on the hour as Burnley failed horribly to clear a ball into their area, Ben Mee almost tackling teammate Stephen Ward before Fernandinho’s cross cannoned in off the lurking Aguero.


Swansea City lost a 3-1 lead but ended up beating Crystal Palace 5-4 in a thrilling game at the Liberty Stadium.

Palace had the first opportunity as Yohan Cabaye’s corner was fired over by Christian Benteke at the far post and went in front after 19 minutes when Benteke flicked on and Wilfried Zaha evaded his defender to fire home.

The Swans responded when Sigurdsson whipped in a free kick from the edge of the area after 36 minutes and seemed in control when Leroy Fer scored twice in quick succession after the break to leave them on the brink of a first win under Bob Bradley.

But James Tomkins pulled one back with 15 minutes remaining and the Swans were rocked after 82 minutes when a huge deflection off midfielder Jack Cork took the ball past his own goalkeeper to put the Eagles, who lost Connor Wickham to a bad knee injury, back on terms.

With six minutes of normal time remaining, Benteke steered home to leave the Welsh club in despair — but up popped Fernando Llorente in the first minute of added time to level before the same player struck again with 93 minutes played to round off an unbelievable afternoon.


Islam Slimani salvaged a point for Premier League champions Leicester Cityas they drew 2-2 with Middlesbrough at the King Power Stadium.

Boro took the lead after 12 minutes when Alvaro Negredo brought down a long ball and found Gaston Ramirez, whose return pass set up Negredo for a crisp finish.

Riyad Mahrez created a chance for Shinji Okazaki, whose volley hit the top of the bar, but the Foxes levelled controversially when Wes Morgan appeared to foul Callum Chambers — only for the referee to give a penalty against the Boro man for handball, with Mahrez converting.

Negredo restored the visitors’ lead when he span away from defender Robert Huth to fire home, but a foul by Marten De Roon on captain Morgan allowed Slimani to save Leicester’s day.

Hull recovered from a dismal first half showing to take a point in a 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion.

The Baggies started brightly, with Gareth McAuley heading an early chance over after keeper David Marshall’s unconvincing punch from Chris Brunt’s corner.

The Tigers laboured to create anything at all throughout the first half — failing to muster a single shot — and were deservedly behind when McAuley cashed in from a Matt Phillips corner.

Home manager Mike Phelan switched to two up front as the second half began and was rewarded with an improved performance which brought a point when a Robert Snodgrass free kick was steered home by Michael Dawson.


Culled from ESPNFC